Renate Rosner Consult S.L. (RRC), representing OpenCPN, has signed a distribution agreement with the Norwegian Mapping Authority.
– We strive to make fresh and updated chart data available for the leisure fleet, and are constantly working to ensure that our data are easily accessible for all boaters. This is an important contribution for safety of life at sea, says Tomas Martin Holtan, director for distribution at the Norwegian Mapping Authority.
OpenCPN is a free software used since almost ten years on all continents, and it has more than 250.000 active users. The users are organized in communities, and the degree of visibility and penetration in the boating communities is perhaps the highest in Norway and the Netherlands.
– We are very happy to be able to add the complete Norwegian chart set licensed from the Norwegian Mapping Authority, to the portfolio of up-to-date, state-of-the-art and affordable vector charts for our OpenCPN user community. There is a need of reliable chart material for the leisure sailor, and charts are a basic tool for safe navigation and trip planning to our users, says managing director Andreu Aranda at Renate Rosner Consult S.L. (RRC).
RRC informs that the Norwegian electronical charts will be available from o-chart.org in due terms, and that weekly updates will be run.
The agreement between RRC and the Norwegian Mapping Authority demands that the electronical chart data are continuously updated, at least twice a month. This is the same pace as notices to mariners, associated to official Norwegian Print on Demand charts and ENCs, are published in the Norwegian NM, Etterretninger for sjøfarende (Efs).
RRC also have distribution agreements with the hydrographic offices in the United Kingdom, the Netherlands, France, Germany, Iceland, Croatia, Belgium and Spain. In addition, electronical chart data from the American hydrographic office (NOAA) are part of the chart catalogue at O-charts.org.
Read more about OpenCPN at opencpn.org and opencpn.no.
ENC vs. chart plotter
Producers of electronical navigational charts for chart plotters can get access to chart data from the Norwegian Mapping Authority, to be used in their software. These chart solutions are not authorised navigational charts.
There is a difference between official electronical navigational charts (ENC) used in an ECDIS (Electronic Chart Display and Information System) and electronical charts used in chart plotters. Carriage of up-to-date official charts (ENC) is an obligation for the regulatory (SOLAS) shipping. Only ENCs fulfill these carriage requirements.
Read more about ENC on kartverket.no or at www.primar.org.
Facts about the Norwegian Mapping Authority:
- A public agency under the Norwegian Ministry of Local Government and Modernisation
- Bears nationwide responsibility for geographical information, operates the national property registry and undertakes all property registration in Norway
- Norway's national coordinator of geodata
- Organised in four divisions: The Hydrographic Service, Land Mapping Division, Geodetic Institute, Cadastre and Land Registry
- Is the Norwegian nautical chart authority and the only authorised producer of official nautical charts and electronic navigational charts (ENC) in Norway
Facts about OpenCPN:
- A free an open source chart plotter and navigation software
- Developed and refined by its developer community of active sailors on all continents
- The user community provide a fertile stream of proposals and feedback to further improve the software
- The software runs under Windows, Linux, MacOS and Android on systems ranging from RasberryPies to networked workstations
- Renate Rosner Consult S.L. (RRC) is an engineering company from Spain and acts as ambassador in representation of OpenCPN whenever a legal body is required
- O-charts, under the umbrella of RRC, works as the outlet for nautical charts licensed for OpenCPN
Norwegian Mapping Authority
Tel.: +47 51 85 88 28 / +47 995 13 848
Tomas Martin Holtan
Norwegian Mapping Authority
Tel.: +47 32 11 82 29 / +47 928 89 293
Pictures and illustrations
Download section of chart No. 1 and download section of chart No. 2 showing Norwegian electronical navigational chart data viewed in OpenCPN. Source: OpenCPN
Download photo of distribution director Tomas Martin Holtan at the Norwegian Mapping Authority via Flickr. Photo: Per Anders Bjørklund
Download photo of managing director Andreu Aranda at Renate Rosner Consult S.L. (RRC). Photo: Private